Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Truth.

     I understand why there is such a divide between locals vs. out-of-staters. I was little but I remember when Hispanics starting coming into South Carolina for good jobs. I remember hearing people say mean things and blaming the Hispanics for everything that happened. Now, I understand how the Hispanics felt.

      Tioga Fire Chief said "whoever gets in a vehicle in northwest North Dakota is risking their own lives with all the truck traffic and irresponsible out-of-state drivers." I know this is a small quote that may not seem that big. But when faced with people that think this way everyday.... it gets tiring. When we moved here I would smile at strangers, help people with their groceries, wave at people in the neighborhood and try new playgroups/places to try to make friends. After three years of every conversation starting with a dissapointed "oooohhhhh you must be here from the oilfield, you're not from around here", I'm tired of it. I'm tired of faking my smile just hoping that somebody will chat with me and give me a chance to be their friend. I used to go to playgroups where the other moms would just sit in circles and I would be the only person outside of their group. Sometimes, I would say "Hi, How are you?" but most of the time the women would just look at me. They wouldn't even respond. I didn't even know people could be that rude.....
     Do we look like we would go to playgroup to terrorize, infiltrate and ruin the lives of the local mom's??!



      Do we look like we are up to no good? No. We are here to provide for our two kids. We are here because there are no jobs/opportunities anywhere else. We moved away from all our friends/family and the only homes we both knew for our entire lives to better ourselves. Give us a little credit. How can you not have a little respect for people that drop their whole lives to start somewhere else? Why wouldn't you want to reach out to them and make them feel welcomed and comfortable. We are here to stay for now, being mean is not going to make us leave. It's just going to make you hate your neighbors for no reason other than us being from the South.

     The first real friends I had started from a group I found on facebook "Oilfield Wives Williston, ND". It was just starting up and was a group of women who have moved into the Williston area from other states. It was a great way to meet people who felt just like I did. Alone and with no friends, super bored.

     Not every local North Dakotan is how I described. I know one who is an awesome girl and a good friend who I enjoy hanging out with.

2 comments:

  1. mememememememmeeee- hahahaa love this story kels

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love ur blog! :-) I felt the same way when we moved to Ray...and we are 'locals' lol- rude self-centered lazy ppl...the majority of the ones I met! At least the gals that moved there for oil gave you a chance to be friends instead of worrying about the precious local clique!

    ReplyDelete