Saturday, November 5, 2011

I am a fake Southerner

Greenville, South Carolina. Home.

     The highlighted red is the county I am from. I am convinced it is the best county in South Carolina and in any state. It is in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. The people are warm, friendly and inviting. There is an abundance of fried foods, sweet tea and Baptist Churches. The people talk slow but that's just fine because I listen slow. You talk to any older person and they'll want to sit down with you and tell you their life story. High school football takes top priority during the season and people attend the games long after they've graduated. College football is the big thing. Clemson vs. Gamecocks. Right now I live in a divided house in that aspect ; )

     So the truth is.... I wasn't even born in the South. Neither was my dad and my mom barely was. My dad was born in Rock Springs, WY grew up in Alaska and moved to South Carolina to attend one of the biggest christian schools in the country, Bob Jones. My mom was born and raised in Virginia. My parents met at a college in Virginia they were both attending. Dropped out, got married and moved back to South Carolina.

     My dad did/does construction so they moved around a lot following work (similar to people in the oilfield). Had my brother Kurt in Greenville, SC. Moved to Texas where they had my brother Karl. Then they had me.... in New York. Yep, I'm technically a Yank. When I was 6 months old they moved back to Greenville though and had my younger siblings, Kelton and Kelly. They have been living on the same property for 22 years now.

     My Grandpa on my dad's side is from North Dakota along with his 15 other brothers and sisters. He grew up here. My Grandma is from South Dakota. They ended up traveling all around after they got married to follow the work. They have been living in South Carolina for a really long time though.

     Both my grandparents on my mom's side are from Virginia. Still live there now.
My ancestors. Haha

     So, you see. I have North Dakota blood. I am Norwegian. My ancestors did not fight in the Civil War and nobody in my family has a Confederate Flag flying from their porch. I am a regular North Dakota local. Sammy is born, raised in South Carolina as well as his family and ancestors.

     I wil always consider myself a Southerner though. I may not technically be one, I may not have any ties to Southern heritage but those are the people that I love and the people I want my children to be raised with. I want them to learn the Southern history and respect and love it like Sammy and I do.  Even though they are "North Dakotans" born and so far raised here.... they will grow up with Southern ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment