Sunday, November 6, 2011

MmmMM Yummy Tri-Tip

Why I am cooking in an oven instead of my grill.

     First of all, it's stinkin' cold outside. I hate cold. I hate snow. I hate winter. Ok.... got that out of the way. I'm not big on cooking in an oven. I prefer the grill, because there is minimal clean up and grill food just taste soooo yummy. But, I decided to try Tri-Tip in the oven. My first time was okay so I'm hoping this one turned out as awesome if I had cooked it on the grill.


     This is NOT a very good example of how a good cut of Tri-Tip would look. But when you're in the middle of the boom around a bunch of Southern hungry men, they take all of the good meat. I had slim pickins' with this one. It was one of two. I usually get it from our local butcher but for some reason just forgot. So what you should be looking for is a Tri-Tip with a bunch of marbled fat. One side should have a THICK layer of fat (1/4"- 1/2"). This one pretty much had all the fat skinned off.

      Most important step: Make sure Tri-Tip is at ROOM TEMPERATURE before cooking. Let sit for 2-3 hours with rub.

     
     Next, season that thing, really season it! Dry rubs only. Mine is a sprinkle of Himalyan Pink Sea Salt, Black Pepper, Paprika, Parsley and a Steak Rub (I use Famous Dave's). Apply liberally onto both sides and rub into the meat.



     Get a skillet and heat some olive oil along with a tablespoon of bacon grease. When sizzling, put the meat in. Brown on both sides for 3 minutes.


     In a pre-heated 350 degree oven, move the skillet to the oven, tri-tip fat-side up. Cook for 23 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 125 degrees. This will produce a medium and medium-rare Tri-Tip. The small side will be cooked more than the thick part!


 
     Cover with tinfoil for 5 minutes after removing from oven.


     Slice with the grain and serve it and chow down on this yummy heaven food.

 

Directions:
 1. Take room temperature tri-tip and apply rub.
     Salt, Pepper, Paprika, Parsley and Steak Rub
2. Heat olive oil/1 Tbs. bacon grease in skillet on stove over med-high heat
3. Brown Tri-Tip on both sides (3 minutes each side)
4. Put in a pre-heated 350 degree oven, fat side up, for 23 minutes.
5. When meat thermometer reads 125 degrees, remove from oven and cover with tinfoil for 5 minutes.
6. Slice and ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment